Home Office was told last week that Maccabi Tel Aviv fans could face ban for Aston Villa match, police say

Last week, the Ministry of Internal Affairs was told that supporters of Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv could be banned from the Europa League match to be played in Aston Villa, and the police revealed that the big debate following the ban increased.
Sir Keir Starmer will do “everything in his power” to lift the ban, his spokesman said, after condemning the ban as the “wrong decision” within a major government intervention.
News that Israeli fans will not be able to attend the club’s game in Birmingham on 6 November due to fear of violence was met with anger in Jewish communities.
The move by council leaders in Birmingham was described as a “national disgrace” by Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch and a “shameful decision” by Israeli foreign minister Gideon Sa’ar.
The government now expects West Midlands Police to make recommendations on what resources will be needed to enable all fans to attend a football match safely. Independent understands this ahead of next week’s council Security Advisory Group (SAG) meeting.
But ministers face new questions after it was revealed last week that the Home Office had been briefed by experts from the UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) about security concerns and possible restrictions on fans visiting Villa Park.
Senior officials in the unit supported the ban, saying it was “important that we respect and support the structures in place to make these decisions.”
Ms Badenoch said the home secretary had “serious questions to answer” for his failure to take immediate action, adding: “This is a weak government that has failed to act when necessary.
“We now learn that home secretary Shabana Mahmood knew that Jewish football fans were banned from UK stadiums and did nothing.”
West Midlands Police said they had classed the Aston Villa v Maccabi Tel Aviv match as high risk based on “available intelligence and previous incidents, including violent clashes and hate crime offenses during a 2024 UEFA Europa League match between Ajax and Maccabi Tel Aviv in Amsterdam”.
Last year, during the Europa League match between Dutch club Ajax and Maccabi in Amsterdam, violent clashes took place between pro-Palestinian demonstrators and Israeli fans.
Five people were sentenced to prison and more than 60 people were detained in the riots; this led to accusations of deliberate antisemitic attacks.
His spokesman said Sir Keir and his senior ministers were leaving no stone unturned to “find a way” to allow traveling Maccabi fans to attend the match.
But Birmingham City Council insisted its decision to ban Maccabi fans will not be reviewed unless there is a change to the risk assessment provided by West Midlands Police.
In an update on Friday evening, a council spokesman said: “The Safety Advisory Group made a decision based on the risk assessment provided by West Midlands Police.
“Should there be a change in the risk assessment of the upcoming match between Aston Villa Football Club and Maccabi Tel Aviv, the Safety Advisory Group will undertake to review its decision as appropriate.”
Talks aimed at lifting the ban include offers from the Home Office to support police in Birmingham and a phone call between communities secretary Steve Reed and Birmingham City Council.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for No 10 said culture secretary Lisa Nandy was “meeting with officials to discuss what more can be done to find a way to resolve this and enable fans to attend the game safely.”
His spokesman said the prime minister was “outraged by the decision”, adding: “Whilst this is of course an operational decision, we have every right to speak in this way about the fundamental principles of justice.”
Sir Keir first harshly criticized the decision in a post on X (formerly Twitter), adding: “We will not tolerate antisemitism on our streets.
“The role of the police is to ensure that all football fans can enjoy the game without fear of violence or intimidation.”
West Midlands police and crime commissioner Simon Foster was among those calling for an “immediate review” of the ban.
UEFA, which manages the Europa League, also called on England officials to ensure that Maccabi Tel Aviv fans can attend the match in Birmingham.
British-Israeli Emily Damari, who supported Maccabi Tel Aviv and Tottenham Hotspur football teams and was held captive by Hamas for more than a year before being released in January, said the decision to ban Israeli fans from attending a match against Aston Villa was “outrageous”.
He said: “I am shocked to my core by this outrageous decision to ban me, my family and friends from attending the Aston Villa game in the UK.
“Football is a way of bringing people together, regardless of their faith, color or religion, and this disgusting decision does the exact opposite.
“Shame on you. I hope you come to your senses and reconsider.”
West Midlands Police said the decision on whether to issue a safety certificate was up to Birmingham City Council but supported the decision to ban Israeli fans, citing previous clashes in Amsterdam.
Social media videos of the team’s 2024 game against Ajax showed Maccabi fans setting off flares and fireworks, chanting “olé, olé, let the IDF” in Hebrew. [Israel Defence Forces] If we win, we will screw the Arabs.”
Maccabi fans were also heard chanting that “there are no children left” in Gaza. Maccabi fans were subjected to “hit and run” attacks and four rioters were given short prison sentences for violence.
A government spokesman said: “No one should be prevented from watching a football match just because of who they are.
“The government is working with the police force and other partners to do everything we can to ensure this game goes ahead safely with all fans in attendance.
“We are exploring what additional resources and support are needed to enable all fans to participate.”




