Seeman flays DMK, AIADMK over corruption charges
Naam Tamilar Katchi chief coordinator Seeman addressing media in Erode in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday | Photo Credit: M. Govarthan
Naam Tamilar Katchi (NTK) chief coordinator Seeman on Wednesday (January 7, 2026) criticized both the DMK and AIADMK, claiming that corruption charges and counter-charges only surfaced during elections.
Mr. Seeman appeared before the court in connection with two cases: campaigning without permission during the 2025 Erode (East) by-election and campaigning beyond the stipulated time. The court postponed the hearing to March 9 and instructed to hold the hearing on that date.
Addressing the media at the court premises, Mr. Seeman reacted to the AIADMK’s complaint to the Governor alleging corruption of ₹4.5 lakh crore by the DMK government. He said political parties routinely blame each other during changes in power. “Are they trying to show that there is no corruption on their part, that they are just honest? Such allegations cannot be taken seriously. This happens when the election is close,” he said.
Criticizing the state government for the announcement of ₹3,000 Pongal cash aid, Mr. Seeman said if the government really wanted to help people, the aid should have been extended last year. Calling it “election Pongal”, he pointed to protests by middle-class teachers, nurses and guard workers, alleging that despite a ₹10 lakh crore debt, the government had failed to meet basic needs.
He alleged that the old pension scheme was implemented before the elections due to fear of losing the support of around 60 lakh government employees. “The voices of conservancy workers and teachers are not heard because their numbers are smaller,” he said, adding that people often forget their struggles during elections and vote for the same leaders. “This is where the error occurs,” he said.
Regarding the Thirupparankundram issue, Mr. Seeman questioned the need to approach the courts. “If people want to light a lamp, they should be allowed to do so. Everyone has religious rights,” he said, adding that the government should have held talks with all stakeholders to ensure peaceful worship.
He claimed that the trouble started after the Hindu Religious and Charitable Organization intervened and prevented animal sacrifice, which had been practiced for years. “Why stop now?” he asked, claiming that the debate was triggered before the elections. “DMK is eyeing Muslim votes, while BJP wants Hindu votes. Both are politicizing the issue for electoral gains,” he said.
Mr. Seeman also reminded that lamps were not lit in Thirupparankundram during the Lord Murugan conference held in Madurai last year. “Now they want to do this because of the elections,” he claimed. On alliances, Mr. Seeman said PMK is expected to join the AIADMK front. “PMK was in the alliance before. This is their only option,” he said.
It was published – 07 January 2026 16:28 IST



