Trump halts Venezuela diplomatic talks, paves way for military action

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
President Trump has halted diplomatic discussions with Venezuela to end drug trafficking and cartels operating in the United States, according to a New York Times report.
The outlet cited U.S. officials claiming Trump has closed the door on negotiations, potentially stepping up military action against drug traffickers, cartel vessels or President Nicolás Maduro’s government.
According to the report, special presidential envoy Richard Grenell, who was in talks with Maduro, was informed on October 2 that all diplomatic contact should cease.
Trump says ‘we’ll see what happens’ when asked about possibility of hitting Venezuela amid rising tensions
President Nicolas Maduro speaks at a press conference after testifying before the election chamber at the headquarters of the Supreme Court of Appeals (TSJ) on August 2, 2024. (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
During a meeting with senior military leaders, Trump reportedly called Mr. Grenell directly and issued the new order.
The President reportedly felt impatience with what he saw as the Administration’s Venezuelan intransigence.
Reports said that in September, Maduro wrote a letter to Trump rejecting drugs smuggled into Venezuela. He offered further negotiations with the United States through Grenell.
Officials also New York Times That the president was disappointed that Maduro refused to resign voluntarily.
Pentagon, Venezuelan Military Jets Buzz U.S. Navy Ship in ‘Latest Highly Provocative’ Move

In March 2025, a cargo ship carrying 400 kilos of cocaine was discovered off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago. (US Department of the Treasury)
The Trump administration has accused Maduro of controlling a “narco-state,” cited him on drug trafficking charges, and offered a $50 million reward for his arrest.
Various plans are being prepared, including potential operations aimed at removing Maduro from power, senior officials said.
Maduro Strikes Military ‘Threat’ From Venezuela in Slam

The Drug Enforcement Administration in Atlanta seized more than 1,000 pounds of meth linked to the violent ‘Cartel Jalisco New Generation.’ (Fox News)
Secretary of State and National Security Advisor Marco Rubio has described Maduro in the past as a “fugitive from American justice” and an “illegitimate leader.”
Trump’s latest move comes amid increased US military activity and strikes against so-called cartel boats near Venezuelan waters.
Click here to get the Fox News app
Last month, the administration formally notified Congress that the United States was engaged in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels and designated cartel members as “unlawful combatants.”
Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House for comment.




