google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Tommy Robinson tells tens of thousands at London rally to prepare for ‘battle of Britain’ | Far right

Far-right activist Tommy Robinson told tens of thousands of his supporters to prepare for the “Battle of Britain” during a rally in central London on Saturday.

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, drew tens of thousands of supporters to the streets of central London for his second year running an event where Islamophobic and ethno-nationalist hate speech and flyers were distributed to the crowd.

Organizers claimed that millions of people attended the Unite the Kingdom march, but police estimated the number of demonstrators was much lower, around 60,000. 150,000 people attended the march last September.

Robinson, who stands out as the founder of the anti-Islam British Defense League, told the crowd gathered in Parliament Square that the rally was “a turning point for Britain”.

He encouraged his supporters to move beyond street protests and “fighting” and get involved in local politics before the next general election.

Campaign group Hope Not Hate said that although the protest appeared to attract fewer demonstrators than the previous rally, the size of Robinson’s movement remained “deeply concerning”.

He added: “Today’s figures still dwarf anything run by the English Defense League, and hundreds of thousands more watched the livestream online. While the movement’s growth appears to have stopped, it remains a significant threat.”

The Metropolitan Police said it spent £4.5 million policing the march and a separate pro-Palestinian demonstration that ended in Waterloo. There were approximately 4,000 police on duty. In the afternoon, armored vehicles, dogs, unmanned aerial vehicles and helicopters were deployed.

As of 4.30pm on Saturday, 31 people had been arrested in both incidents, police said. He said he would “provide a more detailed breakdown” once the marches are over.

A spokesman added: “While this may seem high, both protests to this point have proceeded largely without major incidents.”

Two men who had arrived in London to attend a UK rally were arrested near Euston station. One of them was wanted on suspicion of GBH after an incident in Birmingham where a man was run over. The second was arrested in connection with a separate crime involving encouraging people to attack a police officer.

The protests had a significant Christian theme; many protesters marched to Parliament Square, carrying wooden crosses and chanting “Jesus is king” as they waited for the march to begin. Others wore red Make England Great Again (Mega) hats.

Addressing the crowd, Robinson said: “Are you ready for war in Britain? We have an election in 2029. We’re not asking anyone to go out and fight, but this is the most important moment in our generation.”

“If we don’t send a message in our next election, if you don’t register to vote, if you don’t participate, if you don’t become activists, we will lose our country forever.

“We have to be political, we have to be involved. I’m not going to tell you which political party you should join. We are a cultural movement. I will tell you you have to join a political party. I don’t care if it’s the Reform, Advance, Restore or Conservative party. We have to be involved in politics locally.”

Robinson also chanted support for owner Elon Musk, one of X’s best-known supporters. He said: “Without one man none of this would have happened. On behalf of Great Britain, I thank Elon.”

Also speaking at the rally was Siobhan Whyte, whose daughter Rhiannon was killed by Sudanese asylum seeker Deng Majek during an attack on the hotel where she worked in Walsall, West Midlands, in 2024. Majek was sentenced to life imprisonment in January.

Whyte said: “Keir Starmer, where do I begin to debate this disgusting excuse from a leader of our country? He has failed us. He has failed my daughter Rhiannon. I believe he is [would] If this disgusting excuse of one man had not been checked, we would still be alive today.”

Polish politician Dominik Tarczyński, who claimed he was banned from entering the UK by Starmer before the UK rally, addressed the crowd via video link.

“He can ban me. He won’t cancel you. And believe me, I will come back one day,” he said.

The government is understood to have prevented 11 foreign nationals, whom Starmer described as “far-right agitators”, from entering the UK ahead of the rally.

Katie Hopkins, The former Apprentice contestant turned far-right commentator also sent a video message to protesters. He said: “Whether you’re in London or joining us from abroad, I’d like to thank you all for being at the UK rally today, welcome to Great Britain.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to tell you a few things. I see you, I see our capital, and for the first time in a very long time it looks like the place I remember, our capital, and a place we can all call home, and I’m so proud of you.”

Some demonstrators handed out fliers saying they wanted to ensure “a future for white people.” The brochure read: “In a country full of corrupts, crooks and imported political enemies… We are a brotherhood of White Europeans who share the same values.” He added that anyone can join the “vanguard” and remain anonymous.

Writing in X on Saturday, justice minister David Lammy said: “Organisers of the Unite the Kingdom march are spreading hatred and division.

“They do not reflect the Britain I am proud of. Peaceful protest is a fundamental right and I will always protect it.

“But if the protest turns violent, we will take action quickly with extra court capacity.”

Campaign group led by Donkeys said they set up a giant screen at the rally and played a video with the slogan “Immigration makes Britain great”.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button