google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Nico Antic: Boy, 12, dies after being mauled by shark in Sydney

A 12-year-old boy who was seriously injured after being attacked by a shark on Sydney Harbor beach has died nearly a week after the shocking incident.

Nico Antic’s parents, Lorena and Juan, died at the Children’s Hospital in Randwick on Saturday.

“We are saddened to share that our son Nico has passed away,” they said.

“Nico was a happy, friendly and sporty young boy with an extremely kind and generous spirit. “He was always full of life and that is how we will remember him.”

Camera IconNico Antic, 12, has since died. GoFundMe Credit: Source Provided Known

Nico was bitten by a suspected bull shark at around 4.20pm last Sunday while he and his friends were jumping off rocks in Sydney Harbor near Shark Beach.

The life-saving grappler suffered injuries to both legs in the North Bondi surf but his brave friends pulled him out of the water.

Nico was given first aid by Water Police who then took him to the Rose Bay pier where paramedics took him to hospital in a critical condition.

One of his friends told 7News in an interview that the young boy “didn’t give up for a second.”

NSW Police Superintendent Joseph McNulty praised the “brave” actions of Nico’s friends.

“(They were) very confronting injuries for those kids to see, but I guess that’s friendship,” he said.

Children were jumping into the water near Shark Beach. Photo: Gaye Gerard /NewsWire
Camera IconChildren were jumping into the water near Shark Beach. Photo: Gaye Gerard /NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia

A GoFundMe, set up by family friend Victor Piñeiro, has since raised more than $238,000 for the Antic family.

“Tragically, their beloved child Nico was attacked by a shark in Sydney Harbor on Sunday and suffered devastating injuries,” the fundraiser said in a statement on Saturday.

“Despite all efforts, this heartbreaking incident led to the worst possible outcome.

“We are raising funds to help the Antic family cover upcoming expenses and related arrangements during this incredibly difficult time.

“Any contribution, no matter the size, is greatly appreciated and will help alleviate their suffering.”

It was reported earlier this week that Nico Antic was brain dead and would not recover. Image: GoFundMe
Camera IconIt was reported earlier this week that Nico Antic was brain dead and would not recover. GoFundMe Credit: Source Provided Known

NSW was rocked by four shark attacks in a 48-hour period, including 27-year-old surfer Andre de Ruyter, who was bitten at Manly Beach the next day.

Lorena and Juan Antic also thanked first responders and Sydney Children’s Hospital staff for “everything they did to care for Nico.”

“We also want to thank everyone in the community for their support and kind messages.”

“We ask that you respect our privacy during this extraordinarily difficult time.”

NSW opposition leader Kellie Sloane, member for Vaucluse, said the community was “mourning a young life lost too soon”.

“On behalf of the NSW opposition and our local community, I offer my sincerest condolences to the Antic family and Nico’s friends,” he said. “Like many of our children, Nico was enjoying the beach on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, doing what generations of local kids before him had done – having fun at Jump Rock.

“My thoughts are with Nico’s loved ones and everyone affected by this heartbreaking incident.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button