Trump steps up immigration crackdown after national guard member dies following DC attack – US politics live | US politics

Donald Trump said he would “permanently pause immigration from all third world countries,” a day after two members of the national guard were shot in Washington, D.C., in an attack that has become a political flashpoint in the president’s ongoing crackdown on immigration.
In a social media post sent after 11pm on Thursday and beginning with “A very happy Thanksgiving,” the US president said his administration would “end all federal aid and subsidies to non-citizens” and remove “anyone who is not a net asset to the United States.”
It is unclear how the president would implement such a “pause” on immigration. Previous bans issued by his administration have faced challenges in the courts and Congress.
Earlier in the night, Trump announced the death of Sarah Beckstrom, one of two security guards shot in Wednesday’s attack near the White House. Authorities suspect the attack was carried out by Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national who entered the US in September 2021 as part of a Biden-era program that evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of people from Afghanistan following a chaotic US withdrawal from the country.




