google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

U.S. Military Operation In Venezuela Disrupts Air Travel, Hundreds Of Flights Canceled

US military operation He captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro early on Saturday and flew him out of the country, disrupting Caribbean travel during a busy travel period for the region.

According to FlightRadar24.com, no airline flights passed through Venezuela on Saturday. Major airlines also canceled hundreds of flights in the eastern Caribbean region and warned travelers that disruptions could continue for days after the Federal Aviation Administration imposed restrictions.

Flights were canceled to more than a dozen destinations in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Aruba and the Lesser Antilles island group north of Venezuela. Airlines are waiving change fees for passengers who have to reschedule their flights this weekend.

At Queen Beatrix airport in Aruba, a popular resort destination for U.S. vacationers just 15 miles (24 kilometers) off the Venezuelan coast, officials said they expected operations to resume normally Sunday after a day of canceled flights that stranded travelers or prevented them from flying to the island on Saturday.

In Barbados, Prime Minister Mia Mottley told a press conference that “the consequences of the conflict were extremely devastating for both of our ports of entry” (both the airport and the port from which cruise ships depart).

US Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy said in a social media post that “the FAA is restricting airspace in the Caribbean and Venezuela to ensure the SAFETY of the flying public.”

“When appropriate, these airspace restrictions will be lifted,” X said on its social platform. “If your flight is affected, please work directly with your airlines.”

Early this morning, in support of the War Department, the FAA restricted airspace in the Caribbean and Venezuela to ensure the SAFETY of the flying public.

These airspace restrictions will be lifted when appropriate. Please work directly with your airlines if:

– Secretary Sean Duffy (@SecDuffy) January 3, 2026

Lou Levine, his wife and three children were scheduled to fly from Puerto Rico to the Washington, D.C. area on Saturday morning. Instead he woke up to his wife telling him their flight had been cancelled. He realized why when he looked at his phone.

They first tried calling JetBlue to reschedule. The airline called again about two hours later, but the representative was unable to help them. Levine and his wife saw others messaging JetBlue on social media and did the same. The airline responded and booked them on another flight departing the next Saturday, turning the Levines’ one-week New Year’s vacation into a two-week vacation.

Levine, a manager at a software company, said he was lucky to have a flexible and understanding employer. However, her daughter will be missing from high school for a week. And then there are unexpected expenses.

“I love it here. But we have dog sitting, cat sitting and car rental services. That’s fine. It’s just really painful on the wallet,” Levine said.

Levines hopes to book an earlier return if flights start early.

A scorched area is seen at La Carlota airport after explosions and low-flying planes were heard on Saturday, Jan. 3, 2026, in Caracas, Venezuela. (AP Photo/Matias Delacroix)

This weekend was well past the 13-day peak holiday period in which AAA predicted 122.4 million Americans would travel at least 50 miles from home, but there were still plenty of travelers trying to squeeze in a little more time at tropical beaches and resorts before returning to cooler weather.

“The Caribbean is one of the most preferred destinations this time of year,” said AAA spokeswoman Aixa Diaz. “We have a lot of people trying to get home this weekend before work and school on Monday.”

Diaz said it’s “understandable that we want to pull the plug” but that passengers need to monitor what’s going on and allow airlines to send them phone alerts.

The FAA previously announced that it was imposing a temporary airspace restriction on Puerto Rico’s international airport and surrounding areas.

A notice published on X by Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico, said the restrictions were put in place due to the “security situation related to military activities” in Venezuela.

President Donald Trump speaks at a press conference at the Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida, on Saturday, January 3, 2026. (Nicole Combeau/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks at a press conference at the Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida, on Saturday, January 3, 2026. (Nicole Combeau/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Bloomberg via Getty Images

As a result, most commercial flights operated by U.S. airlines to and from the airport were suspended or cancelled.

The statement stated that foreign airlines and military aircraft are not included in this restriction.

JetBlue said about 215 flights were canceled due to airspace closures due to military activities in the Caribbean. It also noted that flights to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica in the west were not affected by the government’s restrictions. If flights are canceled, customers can rebook their trips or request a refund, the company said.

United Airlines said it adjusted its schedule to account for airspace closures. It said customers can change their travel plans in the region free of charge as it continues to monitor the situation and is working with US aviation authorities.

Southwest Airlines said it canceled all flights to Aruba on Saturday and suspended flights to Puerto Rico until further notice, but flights to the Dominican Republic were unaffected.

American Airlines said it is waiving change fees on flights to and from about 20 island destinations, including Anguilla, Antigua, Curacao, Saint Lucia and the U.S. and British Virgin Islands.

Delta Air Lines said it has issued travel exemptions for customers traveling to or from the 13 affected airports through Tuesday.

Dutch airline KLM said it had canceled flights affecting thousands of passengers but planned to resume service to and from Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire and other islands on Sunday.

Flight disruptions also affected some passengers booked for Caribbean cruises. Cruise operator Virgin Voyages said airline passengers who fail to arrive in San Juan in time for an upcoming cruise will be able to receive full credit for a future trip.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button