Venezuela earthquakes: frantic search for survivors continues, with 235 confirmed dead so far – latest updates | Venezuela

important events
vice president of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez He visited Macuto, La Guaira province, yesterday to assess the level of damage and observe search and rescue efforts. according to local media.
He announced that international aid would arrive soon to support the efforts of the country’s emergency services.
“We have requested international assistance, and support will begin to arrive from our sister nations in the coming hours. Our best wishes, all our hopes and prayers are focused on the lives of Venezuelans,” he said.
A senior American military official arrived in Venezuela’s capital, Caracas, to oversee US aid efforts. US Southern Command (Southcom), whose area of responsibility covers Latin America and the Caribbean, said.
US Marine Corps Major General Kevin Jarrard In a post on X, Southcom said he was serving as the senior Southcom official in the field to coordinate relief operations with local teams.
Opening summary
Rescue workers and residents in cities in northern Venezuela continue to dig through rubble in a frantic search for survivors. More than a day has passed since the country was shaken by the strongest earthquake in more than a century.
At least 235 people lost their lives But authorities fear the death toll could rise significantly, with thousands of people reported missing. More than 4 thousand people were injured 7.2 and 7.5 magnitude earthquakes occurred less than 40 seconds apart in the northern provinces near the capital on Wednesday evening. Caracas.
coastal zone La Guaira, The site of the country’s main airport has suffered some of the worst damage and casualties as rows of towering apartment blocks were reduced to rubble as people desperately searched for their missing loved ones.
UN humanitarian agency Ocha, In the La Guaira area alone, more than 100 buildings were reported to have collapsed, including a large apartment block called the Ritasol Palace and Eduard’s Hotel on the waterfront.
Vice president of Venezuela, Delcy RodriguezAddressing the nation, he declared a state of emergency. He said the government had created a $200 million reconstruction fund for damaged hospitals and homes.
He called on businesses to make heavy construction equipment available for rescue operations.
“We hope to save as many living people as possible,” he said.
There were dramatic scenes on Thursday as people were pulled from rubble covered in dust and blood, but reports said few government rescue teams were initially seen outside Caracas.
Yamileth Jimenez, from the city of La Guaira, said her 19-year-old son was still trapped in the rubble of a seven-story apartment building.
“It’s under the slabs and there’s no machinery to extract it,” Jimenez told Reuters.
US Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, He said the defense ministry would help deploy search and rescue teams to the affected area after Simón Bolívar international airport was closed due to damage, complicating relief efforts.
He said the immediate priority was search and rescue. “They have [lots of] The next 72 “golden” hours are critical, Rubio told reporters.
You can read this morning’s full report here:




