Volodymyr Zelensky warns against giving away territory to Russia, as latest Ukraine talks end

Talks between the United States and Ukraine in Geneva aimed at ending the war with Russia have concluded, with officials from both sides reporting they were making “progress” and intending to continue working.
However, no details have emerged on how to bridge the significant gap between Moscow and Kiev over territorial issues and security guarantees for Ukraine.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed the “important steps” taken but warned that the “main problem” facing the peace talks was Vladimir Putin’s demand for legal recognition of Russian-occupied territories in eastern Ukraine.
“This would violate the principle of territorial integrity and sovereignty,” he said, highlighting concerns that Moscow could be rewarded for its aggression with territory seized by force.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump said on social media that “something good might be happening” but warned: “Don’t believe it until you see it.”
Russian representatives did not attend the Geneva talks, and the Kremlin said it had not received any information about the outcome of the talks. Spokesman Dmitry Peskov stated that Moscow was aware that “adjustments” had been made to the plan, which was welcomed by Putin.
28-article peace plan prepared by US and Russian officials It was presented to Ukraine last week. The fact that many of its elements were aimed heavily at Moscow’s long-standing demands led to consternation in Kiev and its European allies.
Trump’s comments suggesting that Ukraine must accept the deal by Thursday or face severe cuts in US support helped create a sense of urgency across Europe, prompting hurried talks between Ukrainian and US officials.
On Sunday evening, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said “tremendous” progress had been made in the talks. “I truly believe we will get there,” he said.
But some European leaders were more cautious. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said, “I’m not sure whether we are any closer to peace,” while German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the talks would be a “long, protracted process” and that he did not expect any progress this week.
Last week, Europeans were scrambling to get to the table after being seemingly caught off guard when the US draft peace plan was presented.
The counter-proposal, reportedly prepared by Britain, France and Germany, banned recognition of Russian-held territories, increased the number of Ukraine’s permitted army, and left the door open for Ukraine to join NATO.
Rubio said he was unaware of the plan, and on Monday the Kremlin’s foreign policy aide Yuri Ushakov dismissed it as “completely unconstructive.”
Since launching its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Russia has consistently demanded Ukraine’s complete withdrawal from the entire eastern Donbas region.
But Kiev and its European partners are weary of any solution that would jeopardize the principles of territorial integrity and sovereignty, and Zelensky has repeatedly warned that giving up Donbas would leave Ukraine vulnerable to future Russian attacks.
Despite last week’s frantic diplomacy, the next steps in the process are unclear.
The expectation is that Zelensky will meet with Trump personally soon and then a new draft peace plan will be presented to Moscow. The Kremlin said no meeting between Russian and US negotiators was planned this week.
British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said there was still work to be done for a “fair and lasting peace” in Ukraine. A virtual “coalition of the willingHe added that a meeting will be held on Tuesday to discuss the developments.




