google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Wandsworth prisoner released latest: Manhunt for criminal mistakenly freed last week

Lammy cannot say whether any other asylum seekers have been released by mistake since Kebatu

A prisoner who was mistakenly released from London remains at large.

The man, a 24-year-old Algerian national, was mistakenly released on October 29, just days after migrant sex offender Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly released from HMP Chelmsford instead of being sent to an immigration detention centre.

A Met Police spokesman said: “Shortly after 1pm on Tuesday, November 4, the Met was informed by the Prison Service that a prisoner had been released from HMP Wandsworth in error on Wednesday, October 29.

“The prisoner is a 24-year-old Algerian man.

“Officers are carrying out urgent inquiries to locate and detain him.”

The news came just minutes after deputy prime minister David Lammy announced there would be increased controls on the release of prisoners. He told Prime Minister’s Questions that it was “hugely important” to get to the bottom of what happened when Ethiopian national Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly released from HMP Chelmsford last month.

However, when asked repeatedly at PMQs, he refused to provide information about whether another asylum seeker defendant had accidentally left prison.

What we know so far about the released foreign prisoner

• Prisoner mistakenly released from HMP Wandsworth on 29 October

• The man is a 24-year-old Algerian citizen

• The Met Police said they were notified of the error at 1pm on Tuesday, November 4.

• It comes just days after immigrant sex offender Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly released from HMP Chelmsford instead of being sent to immigration detention center

• Officers are carrying out urgent inquiries in a bid to locate and detain him, according to the Met Police.

• The news comes just minutes after deputy prime minister David Lammy announced increased controls on the release of prisoners

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:23

Watch: Lammy can’t say if any other asylum seekers have been released by mistake since Kebatu

Lammy cannot say whether any other asylum seekers have been accidentally released since Kebatu

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:15

David Lammy tells Shadow defense secretary to ‘check himself’ when asked if there were any more faulty broadcasts

David Lammy refused to say whether any other asylum seeker defendants had been released from prison by accident after being asked repeatedly at PMQs.

He told shadow defense secretary James Cartlidge to “check himself” after repeatedly asking if there were any other erroneous broadcasts after Hadush Kebatu was released.

Addressing Mr Lammy, Mr Cartlidge said: “He is the Minister of Justice. He is responsible for the justice system. He must take responsibility.”

“And for the avoidance of doubt, I’ll repeat this one more time because he didn’t answer twice.

“Can he reassure the House that no other asylum-seeking criminals have accidentally been released from prison since Kebatu’s release?”

Mr Lammy, who replaced Sir Keir Starmer, replied: “Careful mate, I know I’m Justice Secretary so I’m in the letterbox.”

“We know there have been spikes on his watch since 2021. When did he come to this House and apologize?”

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:14

Deputy Prime Minister says it is ‘extremely important’ to get to the bottom of what happened when Hadush Kebatu was released

The news came just minutes after deputy prime minister David Lammy announced there would be increased controls on the release of prisoners.

He told Prime Minister’s Questions that it was “hugely important” to get to the bottom of what happened when Ethiopian national Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly released from HMP Chelmsford last month.

However, when asked repeatedly at PMQs, he refused to provide information about whether another asylum seeker defendant had accidentally left prison.

(House of Commons/UK Parliament/PA Wire)

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:10

The error was revealed after the mistaken release of migrant Hadush Kebatu

The release of the 24-year-old Algerian national comes just days after immigrant sex offender Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly released from HMP Chelmsford instead of being sent to an immigration detention centre.

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:07

Met police officers try to relocate prisoner

A Met Police spokesman said: “Shortly after 1pm on Tuesday, November 4, the Met was informed by the Prison Service that a prisoner had been released from HMP Wandsworth in error on Wednesday, October 29.

“The prisoner is a 24-year-old Algerian man.

“Officers are carrying out urgent inquiries to locate and detain him.”

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:06

Met police say prisoner was released by mistake

Another foreign prisoner remains on the run after being mistakenly released from HMP Wandsworth.

The man, a 24-year-old Algerian citizen, was released by mistake on October 29.

Rebecca Whittaker5 November 2025 13:05

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button