Wests Tigers NRL 2026 contract shut down by ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce
Israel Folau’s side have claimed a return to the NRL with the Wests Tigers was approved before a member of the ARL Commission intervened in the return bid.
In a video posted on social media, Folau and his wife Maria accused the NRL of double standards after a potential training and trial deal with the Tigers and coach Benji Marshall fell through.
After ending his tenure with Japanese rugby union, the 37-year-old Folau, who plans to return to rugby league 16 years after leaving the NRL, has been offered to several NRL clubs by management as a potential mid-season transfer.
Maria Folau claimed in an Instagram post on Thursday that Israel was allowed to strike a short-term deal with the Tigers before long-time ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce reportedly intervened to block the move.
According to Maria Folau’s post, Marshall had raised the possibility of Israel being signed by the Tigers and was told it was “good for Izzy to come and play in the NRL”.
Folau later claimed Pearce blocked the move. Pearce and the NRL declined to comment on Thursday afternoon.
“The reasoning behind not wanting Izzy to play is out of inclusivity, whatever that means, and also that it would be a bad look for Izzy to come back into the game,” Maria Folau said.
“Then a colleague of ours contacted Wayne Pearce via text and the same thing happened – Izzy was not welcome to play.
“Benji told us he was still keen to have Izzy back on board. [was] I will try to sign a contract and [Tigers] The board of directors was to meet on Sunday to discuss the situation.
“We have been told that the Tigers will no longer be contracting due to media pressure. The club will be distracted and pressure may come from elsewhere.”
The Tigers declined to comment, citing the following statements: reporter Marshall’s blunt “we’re not signing him” response when asked about the Folau negotiations at a press conference last week.
Folau left the NRL in 2010 for a stint in the AFL as a key signing at the Greater Western Sydney Giants before switching to rugby and embarking on a 73-Test career for the Wallabies.
He played his last Test for the Wallabies in 2018 before his contract with Rugby Australia was terminated in 2019 due to controversial social media posts.
Folau explored an NRL return with the Dragons in 2021, but the joint venture’s board decided not to pursue his signature following the backlash to the potential signing.
Folau shared his wife’s post on Thursday and commented: “@nrl’s double standards are crazy. The game talks about participation but I was told my Christian beliefs were an issue and didn’t align with their values.”
“Also players who commit actual crimes are welcome. Make it logical.”
News, results and expert analysis from the sports weekend delivered every Monday. Sign up for our sports newsletter.


