google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

5 dead, including 2 suspects, police say

Three victims were killed in a shooting at a San Diego mosque on Monday and two suspects behind the attack were also killed, authorities said.

Police responded to a report of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego shortly before noon local time and found three dead victims outside, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference.

Around the same time, there were reports of more gunfire a few blocks away, where the suspects were believed to have shot at a landscaper. Police were then called to a nearby location where a vehicle was found in the middle of the street. Wahl said the suspects, two male teenagers, were found dead inside the car from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

The identities of the victims and suspects have not been disclosed yet.

Wahl said the attack is being investigated as a hate crime.

The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County. According to their website. Its mission is to “serve the religious needs of San Diego’s Muslim population and work with the greater community to serve, educate, and better our nation to those less fortunate.” It is also the site of a school for children from Kindergarten through 3rd grade.

Police stated that no children were harmed in the incident.

“Targeting a place of worship is an extremely ugly act,” Imam Taha Hassane said at the press conference. “People come to the Islamic center to pray, celebrate and learn. We have people from all walks of life, not just Muslims.”

California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said in a post about X that it had been briefed.

“We are grateful to the first responders on scene to protect the community and urge everyone to follow the guidance of local officials,” Newsom’s office said.

This is an evolving story. Check back for updates.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button