Australian man who ambushed Ariana Grande on red carpet jailed in Singapore
An Australian man invaded the red carpet and ambushed Ariana Grande Bad: For Good It premiered in Singapore last week and was jailed.
On Thursday, Johnson Wen, 26, escaped security at Universal Studios, jumped over the barricade and ran toward a visibly shocked Grande. Multiple viral videos of the incident showed Wen pushing the 32-year-old star and wrapping her arms around her, while co-stars Cynthia Erivo and Michelle Yeoh jumped to Grande’s defense.
Per BBC NewsA court in Singapore has since found Wen guilty of being a public nuisance and sentenced him to nine days in prison. Wen, who previously performed for Katy Perry in Sydney and The Weeknd in Melbourne, was behind bars for four days and sentenced to a further five days.
Johnson Wen, 26, was sentenced to nine days in jail for being a public nuisance after he invaded the red carpet and kidnapped Ariana Grande at the Wicked: For Good premiere at Universal Studios in Singapore.Credit: instagram
Accordingly Agence France-PresseWen was arrested hours after the incident and charged with “causing public nuisance”. In Singapore, this charge could lead to a three-month prison sentence, a fine of up to SG$2000 (US$2364), or both.
Loading
“This action was premeditated,” Singapore District Judge Christopher Goh said, adding that Wen showed “a pattern of behavior that suggests you would do it again.”
“You seem to be engaging in these actions, only thinking of yourself and not the safety of others,” Goh told Wen.
Appearing in court via video link and pleading guilty, Wen said: “I won’t do this again, Your Honor. I will stop getting into trouble.”
Goh said the court should “send a signal to like-minded individuals that we will not condone any actions that have the potential to tarnish Singapore’s reputation as a safe country.”


