Sheffield Wednesday: Owls deducted six points as Chansiri banned

Sheffield Wednesday were handed a further six-point deduction by the English Football League for rule breaches, leaving them 27 points from safety in the Championship.
The club’s former owner Dejphon Chansiri was also banned for three years from owning or managing any EFL club.
BBC Radio Sheffield reported that the latest cuts were due to failure to pay players in March, May and June, as well as other payments to staff and HMRC.
The Owls were deducted 12 points in October after the club filed for administration.
This latest decision leaves them minus 10 points, 27 points behind 21st placed Swansea.
Investigations into the club’s conduct during the current season are ongoing but the EFL says it has no intention of deducting further points.
“The EFL can confirm that Sheffield Wednesday FC will be deducted six points with immediate effect for multiple breaches of the EFL Regulations relating to payment obligations and Mr Dejphon Chansiri will be banned from owning or managing any EFL Club for three years,” a statement on the Sheffield Wednesday website said.
“While work continues on matters assessed by the Independent Club Financial Reporting Unit in relation to alleged breaches in the 2025-26 season prior to the club entering administration, the league can confirm that it is not seeking further points deductions from the club.
“Separately, the EFL and Sheffield Wednesday are continuing discussions regarding their objection to the wage cap, which is currently scheduled to run until the end of the 2027 winter transfer window. This is likely to be resolved as part of the club’s exit from administration.”
Chansiri led a Thai consortium that first took over Sheffield Wednesday in 2015, but his entry into administration effectively ended his decade-long ownership.
Administrators are in the process of identifying a preferred bidder to take over the club and have previously said they hope to have a bidder by Friday.




