google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Attack on city synagogue concerning, says premier

Police have charged a man after a car was used to crash into the gates of a major city synagogue.

Officers said the Toyota Hilux company knocked down the gate to the property on Brisbane’s Margaret Street shortly after 7pm on Friday.

The driver fled the scene after being detained a short time later.

No one was injured during the incident.

A 32-year-old Sunnybank man is expected to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with willful damage, serious defamation or hate crime, police said.

He is also charged with dangerous driving and possession of dangerous drugs and utensils intended for their use.

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli described the alleged attack as worrying and said Australian Jews would be deeply saddened by the incident.

“I have spoken to the police as well as Jewish leaders and want to reassure the people of Queensland that we are taking this seriously,” he wrote on social media.

“This is another sign of why we are putting strong legislation before parliament to protect all people where they worship.”

“We are going through the process and I fully intend for these to be passed in the next session of parliament.”

An investigation into the proposed legislation was told that multiple stakeholders were not consulted before the bill was drafted.

The Federation of Islamic Councils, the Islamic Council of Queensland and the Queensland Ethnic Communities Council told the state’s parliamentary justice, integrity and community safety committee that they had been bypassed.

Under the law, Queensland’s attorney general will have the power to outlaw statements that could be punishable by two years in prison if uttered in public.

Police said the investigation into the attack, which occurred on Friday evening, is continuing.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button