google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

BMA to ballot senior doctors in England over strikes as pay dispute escalates | Doctors

The British Medical Association has announced that senior doctors in England will be voted on the possibility of a strike.

The union said simultaneous votes between consultants and specialist, sub-specialist and specialist (SAS) doctors will be held from May 11 to July 6 as both medical teams escalate their disputes with the government.

It was stated that this followed the lack of progress in negotiations and the decision on “inadequate” wages.

Last week the government announced doctors would get a 3.5% pay rise after accepting the pay review body’s recommendation. At the time, the union described the pay award as a “crushing blow” to doctors.

BMA advisors committee co-chairs Dr. Shanu Datta and Dr. Helen Neary said in a statement: “We have held discussions with the government over recent months but have made clear that unless action is taken to reverse the continued devaluation of the profession, consultants will once again have to seriously consider taking industrial action.

“Unfortunately, as these discussions continue, we have not seen sufficient progress to give advisors confidence that their concerns are being taken seriously.

“It cannot be said that the government is committed to employing the most senior and specialist doctors here and ensuring that their expertise is available to patients and the public in the coming years.”

BMA SAS committee chairman Dr. Ujjwala Mohite said: “SAS physicians face pay erosion as well as barriers to career development and a lack of opportunities to recognize the skills and value they bring to hospitals and patients.

“Despite having made it clear that we will no longer stand by this situation and that our members are ready to take action, we have seen the government make little progress in talks and now ministers and the DDRB have squandered yet another opportunity to address wage erosion.

Therefore, we have to take this struggle to the next stage together with our consultant colleagues.”

The Ministry of Health and Social Services has been approached for comment.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button