google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Bolivia rocked by protests as US warns of ‘coup d’état’ | Bolivia

Protests in Bolivia, which blocked roads and turned the center of the capital La Paz into a conflict zone between demonstrators and police, have entered their second week.

It is the most turbulent moment of centre-right president Rodrigo Paz Pereira’s just six-month tenure since he ended the almost two-decade rule of the left-wing Movimiento al Socialismo (Mas).

In response to the protests, the president said he would reshuffle the cabinet later Wednesday and “will not engage in dialogue with vandals” involved in acts of violence but would establish a council that would allow indigenous groups, farmers, miners and other street workers “to be part of the decision-making process.”

One of the former senator’s first moves after taking office in November was to restore relations with the United States, which now describes the riots as a “continued coup” against Paz Pereira.

Along with civil unrest, Bolivia’s president triggered a diplomatic crisis on Wednesday after ordering the immediate expulsion of Colombia’s ambassador to La Paz in retaliation for remarks by Colombia’s leftist president, Gustavo Petro.

Petro on Sunday republished A video claiming that Paz Pereira was a “puppet of the USA” commented that Bolivia was experiencing a “popular uprising” that was a “response to geopolitical arrogance”.

Announcing the expulsion of Ambassador Elizabeth García on Wednesday, Bolivia’s foreign ministry said the decision was aimed at “preserving the principles of sovereignty and non-interference in internal affairs.” Moments later, Petro told a Colombian radio station that Bolivia was “sliding towards extremism.”

As anti-government unrest escalates in Bolivia, protesters clash with police in La Paz – video

The protests have led to four deaths so far — one demonstrator reportedly died in clashes and three others died because roadblocks prevented them from receiving proper medical treatment — as well as dozens of injuries and more than 40 road blockades across the country on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, US deputy secretary of state Christopher Landau claimed the protests were a “continued coup”.

Speaking in Washington, Landau said: “Let’s make no mistake about this; this is a coup financed by this perverse alliance between politics and organized crime across the region.”

On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio echoed his deputy’s words: sending: “Make no mistake: The United States clearly supports Bolivia’s legitimate constitutional government. We will not allow criminals and drug traffickers to overthrow democratically elected leaders in our hemisphere.”

Striking transport worker Romer Cahuaza, who is demanding improved fuel supplies, warned of “bloodshed” if the Paz government does not step aside.

Foreign Affairs Minister Fernando Aramayo accused the demonstrators of trying to “disrupt the democratic order.”

Bolivia is experiencing its worst economic crisis in four decades, with dollar and fuel shortages and rising inflation dating back at least to the final years of previous president Luis Arce’s tenure under Mas.

At a press conference at the presidential palace on Wednesday, Paz Pereira said: “We need to reorganize a cabinet that must have the capacity to listen.” Although he has yet to give details of the changes he plans to make, the president said it would be a “more agile, closer” cabinet. [to the population]”.

He also announced the establishment of an “economic and social council” to which “anyone who wants to participate”, other than “vandals”, would be invited to form a “common government” and coordinate decision-making: “Is vandalism valid? No, and I will not dialogue with vandals.”

Paz Pereira, son of former president Jaime Paz Zamora, who ruled the country from 1989 to 1993, took office with the promise of “economic shock therapy”, but conditions did not improve and some of the measures he took turned out to be unpopular.

One of his first decisions was to end two decades of fuel subsidies, promising that the free market would bring better quality fuel to the country. Instead, shortages continued and the “dirty fuel” crisis soon broke out after it was discovered that some of the supply had been adulterated. The president said he was the victim of alleged “sabotage” by former officials with alleged ties to Mas.

Mas’ historic leader, former president Evo Morales, also remains a troubling shadow over the current administration. The country’s first Indigenous president has been based in the coca-growing Chapare region since late 2024. Here, hundreds of farmers are preventing the police or military from issuing an arrest warrant against him for allegedly fathering a 15-year-old girl in 2006.

Morales is currently on trial in another state on human trafficking charges related to allegations he provided political favors to the girl’s parents. He failed to appear in court and the judge issued a new arrest warrant.

Presidential spokesman José Luis Gálvez said Morales was fueling the unrest to “escape the trial.”

Morales denies this and says the riots are “against the implementation of the neoliberal model,” adding that it is “just and necessary for thousands of victims of ‘dirty fuel’ to take civil action.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button