Diplomat who abruptly left Washington embassy was honoured by the king | Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office

A top diplomat who abruptly left his post at the British embassy in Washington earlier this week after serving as Peter Mandelson’s interim envoy has been honored by King Charles.
No reason has yet been given for James Roscoe’s departure. The investigation into the leak of the conversations held at the UK National Security Council meeting continues.
Senior officials at the embassy are said to be among those questioned as part of the investigation, following reports that the cabinet was divided at a National Security Council meeting this year over allowing the US to use British bases for attacks on Iran.
These discussions are protected by the Official Secrets Act, and leaking information from the national security council is considered a serious breach.
Roscoe, who has served as deputy chief of mission since 2022, was appointed lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO) by the king on April 30. The honor, which recognizes the monarch’s distinguished personal service, was in conjunction with Charles and Camilla’s last official visit to the United States to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence.
On Wednesday the Gazette, the Crown’s official public record which publishes details of royal appointments and honours, said the king was “graciously pleased” to grant a number of appointments in connection with last month’s royal trip.
Roscoe, the former chief press officer at Downing Street to Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, became LVO and was allowed to use the letters after his name.
Roscoe, whose previous diplomatic assignments included Sierra Leone and Iraq, remained in office when Mandelson was removed from office over his ties to sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. He was among those rumored to hold the top job permanently, although the post ultimately went to another diplomat, Christian Turner.
In a brief statement released early Wednesday morning, a State Department spokesman said: “James Roscoe has resigned from his position.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on Roscoe’s award, but noted that the awards, released Wednesday, were awarded last month. There is precedent for recognizing staff involved in planning state visits.




