Carlton, Michael Voss fight for their season ahead of Good Friday clash with North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium
Carlton coach Michael Voss has insisted the focus will be on immediate reactions on the pitch as he looks to put mounting external pressure aside as he looks to halt the Blues’ early-season slide.
But Voss, otherwise perfectly calm, bristled when asked whether it would be better to coach from inside the penalty area rather than from the touchline.
Facing the media after another frustrating defeat and ahead of Friday’s crucial match against North Melbourne, Voss delivered a calm and measured performance despite increasing scrutiny of his position and the club’s inability to close out games. The Blues have now made a habit of running late and second-half errors emerged as a decisive concern in the opening rounds.
But Voss has shown little sign of being a coach under siege.
“I don’t give three-day updates,” he said when asked directly about his future. “What you tend to focus on is what the next game is going to look like for us… I just have gratitude and perspective.”
Essendon great Matthew Lloyd and former Cats star Jimmy Bartel have questioned whether the byline was a suitable and effective spot for Voss to coach, given the structural deficiencies in the Blues’ tactics.
It was the only time during Wednesday’s media conference that Voss appeared uneasy.
“This is a coaching group. Some have their eyes up, some are sitting on the change bench. I honestly can’t believe this is even a conversation with you,” Voss said.
Carlton’s problems are no longer isolated. They are patterned.
While the Blues have struggled to maintain their performance over four quarters for weeks, Voss admitted the problem was both obvious and persistent.
“This is as clear to you as it is to us,” he said.
The club has explored structural changes, methodological adjustments and mentality changes in a bid to address the disruptions, but Voss admitted there was no quick fix.
“There is no magic solution. We achieve change through repetition and consistency.”
Internally, messages have shifted subtly. Voss, who described himself as “dirty” post-match, explained that the club had since moved towards a more optimistic review, focusing on incremental gains rather than a wholesale overhaul.
Carlton believe some elements of their revamped style of play are starting to take hold, although results may not yet reflect that.
“We’re probably taking a glass-half-full approach because there are a lot of positives to what we’ve been able to do,” Voss said.
But the coach could not ignore the reality his side faced: failure to act when it mattered most.
Interruptions in short bursts (13 minutes, four minutes, six minutes) have proven time and time again to be costly. These mistakes are decisive in modern football.
“The game doesn’t ask you to play 115 minutes. It wants you to play 120 minutes,” Voss said.
The Blues’ problem, then, is sustainable execution; It’s a message that Voss reinforces internally while also placing responsibility back on the leadership group.
Following the defeat, senior players such as Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh and Jacob Weitering were encouraged to take ownership of the response; Voss framed it as a necessary move for long-term growth rather than a one-time circuit breaker.
“I’m a big believer… I’d rather go out and do it,” he said.
Carlton’s leaders will be center stage again this week; Voss explained that the club’s focus was not just to get four points, but to embed the “winning behaviour” to survive under pressure.
“There are signs of encouragement, but also signs of disappointment,” he said. “We have a bridge and we should cross it pretty quickly.”
This urgency makes the move even sharper towards a rapid comeback against the North, where Carlton face both expectation and opportunity.
Choice appears as a key lever.
Voss confirmed midfielder Adam Cerra will make his long-awaited return from injury in his first game since last year’s round 21, while Nic Newman and Wade Derksen remain in contention to replace concussed defender Harry Dean.
Nick Haynes, Jordan Boyd and Adam Saad are also included in the squad after showing solid form in the VFL.
The media was allowed to watch the first 15 minutes of the training. One of the few positives for the Blues at the start of the year was availability. Apart from Jesse Motlop and Harry O’Farrell, who are both recovering from anterior cruciate ligament injuries, the club has a full squad to choose from.
The selection jam highlights both Carlton’s depth and unsteady form; Voss balances the need for continuity against the demand for immediate improvement.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.


