google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

DAPHNE BARAK: How I delivered the final, fatal blow to Andrew’s fast-sinking reputation… and why Palace is right to still be deeply concerned

The pressure on Prince Andrew has been mounting since the Mail on Sunday first revealed his relationship with disgraced sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein in 2011.

But in recent weeks the steady stream of bad news has become a torrent. We have embarrassing allegations in a new biography called Entitled by Andrew Lownie, sordid allegations in the posthumously published memoirs of one of Epstein’s victims, Virginia Giuffre (which Andrew denies), and new accusations that he had improper business contacts with an alleged Chinese spy.

But I believe the final, fatal blow to Andrew’s rapidly declining reputation came last weekend. And the Prince fell on his sword, reinstating the titles of Duke of York and Knight of the Garter because of the emails I exposed in the MoS.

They made clear that both Sarah Ferguson and Andrew had far closer relationships with Epstein, who died in a New York jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges, than they had publicly admitted.

And most importantly, Andrew, the King’s younger brother and a senior member of the Royal Family, told a bare-faced lie when he appeared on the now infamous Newsnight special with presenter Emily Maitlis in 2019.

During this interview, Andrew claimed that he cut off all contact with the disgraced Epstein in late 2010. The prince was categorical on this issue.

But as the MoS revealed last week, in an email sent to the pedophile two months later on February 28, 2011, Andrew makes clear not only that the relationship was continuing but also that he was ‘in this together’ with Epstein.

The former Duke of York even wrote that he expects to ‘stay in close contact’ and ‘play some more’ with a convicted sexual abuser!

Prince Andrew at the Order of the Garter ceremony outside St George’s Chapel, Windsor, in 2019

Daphne Barak (left) with Sarah Ferguson. Daphne writes: 'As a breast cancer survivor, I have great sympathy for Sarah Ferguson.'

Daphne Barak (left) with Sarah Ferguson. Daphne writes: ‘As a breast cancer survivor, I have great sympathy for Sarah Ferguson.’

Prince Andrew's statement from Buckingham Palace

Prince Andrew’s statement from Buckingham Palace

In other words, it appears that the late Queen Elizabeth’s second son invited television cameras to Buckingham Palace, where his News Night interview was filmed, in an attempt to mislead the nation.

My sources tell me that this point, after all, was the final straw for the King and his advisors, letting it be known that they were concerned about the “clear fault lines” in Andrew’s version of events.

I am also told that the Palace is deeply concerned that further embarrassing material about the rebellious prince may emerge. Who would bet against that?

It is important to say that Andrew vehemently denies any wrongdoing and has done so from the very beginning.

As a breast cancer survivor, I have great sympathy for Sarah Ferguson. He is a warm-hearted and charismatic person.

Sarah told me how difficult this fall from grace was for her ex-husband. The ‘second son’ syndrome turns out to be all too real. Andrew seems like a man without a purpose.

But I still can’t believe they’re this blind. Andrew and Sarah seem to believe that the rest of us are stupid, too stupid to see through the fabrications of lesser mortals.

Is this simply a case of immaturity? They are definitely known for their love of crude jokes, cute toys and childish pranks.

Virginia Giuffre photographed with Prince Andrew and Ghislaine Maxwell in London in 2001

Virginia Giuffre photographed with Prince Andrew and Ghislaine Maxwell in London in 2001

Prince Andrew's dramatic fall was facilitated by the disastrous Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis in 2019.

Prince Andrew’s dramatic fall was facilitated by the disastrous Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis in 2019.

Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson at Royal Ascot in June 2016

Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson at Royal Ascot in June 2016

I remember when I met them in Windsor in 2023, Sarah came to lunch with two large dolls, one of which looked like her.

To my amazement, she proceeded to place the dolls on chairs at the table next to us; They remained there as silent guests throughout the meal. There was no explanation.

Perhaps after all, as the title of the latest biography suggests, it really does come down to overreach.

It’s as if the couple formerly known as the Duke and Duchess of York are living out their own private fantasies, unable to comprehend that others might have a perspective worth considering, let alone fearing.

Maybe they’ll take notice now.

Daphne Barak is a veteran interviewer and documentary filmmaker. Daphne is also a cancer survivor who has a rapidly growing charity at the University of California, San Diego. www.gamechangerevents.org

For more on this story: The Five Days That Brought Prince Andrew Down on Saturday 25 October at 10.05pm on C5

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button