Former prince Andrew arrested on misconduct allegations

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of abuse of public office.
Thames Valley Police, an agency covering areas of west London including Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former prince sent secret government business reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010.
The assessment follows the release of millions of pages of documents linked to the US investigation into Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor is mentioned several times in the documents.
The police force on Thursday did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is usual under UK law.
However, when asked if anyone had been arrested, police pointed to a statement saying they had arrested a man in his 60s.
Mountbatten-Windsor, whose birthday is Thursday, is 66 years old.
“After a comprehensive evaluation, we launched an investigation into alleged misconduct in public office,” the statement said.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case and will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Footage circulating online on Thursday showed unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers gathered outside Mountbatten-Windsor’s home at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
Mountbatten-Windsor’s brother, King Henry III. In a written statement, Charles said: “I have learned with deep concern of the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What will now come is a full, fair and appropriate process to ensure that this matter is investigated appropriately and by the relevant authorities.
“As I said before, we have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation on this issue.
“Let me be clear: The law must take its own course.
“While this process is ongoing, it would not be appropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to all of you.
“Charles R.”
Andrew is the first senior British royal to be arrested in modern history.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing involving Epstein and said he regretted their friendship.
However, it has not responded to requests for comment since the documents were last published.
Charles stripped Andrew of his royal titles, including the right to be called a prince, in October 2025 as he sought to protect the monarchy from ongoing revelations about his younger brother’s relationship with Epstein.
These revelations have tarnished the royal family for more than a decade.
Mountbatten-Windsor was reported to the police by anti-monarchy campaign group Republic following the publication of more than three million pages of documents relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from an underage child in 2008.
These files suggest that Mountbatten-Windsor forwarded reports to Epstein in 2010 about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he visited on official trips.
via Reuters and PA

