Iranian terror group claims arson attack on Jewish ambulances in London
London: An Iranian terrorist group claimed responsibility for setting fire to Jewish ambulances near a British synagogue, smashing windows and explosions on a residential street.
British police are investigating the allegation at a time when discussions about anti-Semitism are on the rise as Israel intensifies its attacks on Iran.
The British Foreign Office has called on Iranian ambassador Seyed Ali Mousavi to criticize the Islamic Republic’s “reckless” actions in Britain and other countries, in a move that highlights Iran’s role in financing terrorism over many years.
The diplomatic action focused on a separate case in which two men arrested in Britain were accused of aiding Iran’s intelligence service, but it came amid a public debate over whether Iran was behind the arson in London on Monday morning, UK time.
Security TV footage shows three hooded men dousing four ambulances with fuel before setting them on fire in the Golders Green area of London, which has many Jewish households. No one was injured in the attack.
The vehicles belonged to Hatzola service, a Jewish volunteer organization that helps the local community.
The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to Highfield Road in Golders Green at 1.45am (12.45am AEDT) on Monday, while the London Fire Brigade was at the scene.
Superintendent Sarah Jackson, who leads police in the area, said: “We believe we are looking for three suspects at this early stage.”
While there were no injuries in the incident, the houses were evacuated. Police said that it was estimated that the explosions were caused by gas canisters in ambulances.
Phil Rosenberg, chairman of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said the volunteer ambulance service highlighted the necessity of “choosing life”, while the arsonists showed the “futility” of their cause.
“While the motives are unclear at this stage, this attack takes place in the context of a rise in antisemitism around the world,” he said.
“This is a threat not only to the Jewish community, but to our society as a whole.”
The group that claimed responsibility for the Golders Green attack is Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya, also known as the Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand and considered a group affiliated with Tehran.
While the group said on its Telegram channel that it was behind the attack, the Metropolitan Police has not yet confirmed the claim and has not yet declared the incident a terrorist attack.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer described the arson attack as “appalling” antisemitism.
“An attack on our Jewish community is an attack on all of us. We will fight against the poison of anti-Semitism,” he said.
Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch said people in the Jewish community had told her they lived in fear of attack.
“Hatred against Jews is growing in our country and we all need to make clear in our words and actions that Britain will not tolerate antisemitism,” he said.
Farage warns of ‘fifth column’
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage went further, claiming that a “fifth column” had been established within Britain to target Jewish people and bring terrorism to the country. Farage said the group that claimed responsibility for the Golders Green attack was directly linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
Jewish leaders warned last October that antisemitism was on the rise A gunman attacked a synagogue in Manchester and then killed a worshiper He also injured many people with a knife. Another victim lost his life as a result of being hit by a bullet fired by the police who were trying to neutralize the terrorist Jihad al Shami.
Less than four weeks ago, the streets of Golders Green hosted a celebration in which Jewish residents joined members of London’s Iranian community. We welcome Israeli and US air strikes on TehranBoth groups hoped this would lead to the fall of the Iranian regime.
The State Department summoned the Iranian ambassador on Monday, hours after the attack, to criticize Iran over espionage allegations heard in court.
Nematollah Shahsavani, 40, and Alireza Farasati, 22, appeared in court last week on charges of engaging in conduct likely to assist a foreign intelligence service under the National Security Act.
They allegedly spied on targets in the Jewish community and the Israeli embassy and passed information to the Iranian regime.
The two men were arrested two weeks ago for surveillance activities that took place mostly last year but continued into February. They will appear in court again next month.
Get notes directly from abroad reporters about things that make headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What’s on in the World Newsletter.



