Israel Marks Second Anniversary as Talks Held to End Gaza War

JERUSALEM: Hamas and Israeli negotiators, within the scope of the US peace plan proposed indirectly to end the two -year war in Gaza, while Israel is commemorating the second anniversary of the October 7, 2023 attack on Tuesday.
Two years ago, at the closing of the Jews’ Sukkot Festival, the militants led by Hamas launched a surprise attack on Israel and made this day the most deadly day in the history of the country.
Palestinian fighters exceeded the Gaza-Israeli border and attacked the Southern Israeli communities, and a music festival was held in the desert with gunfire, rockets and grenades.
According to AFP’s calculation based on Israel’s official figures, the attack resulted in the death of 1,219 people, most civilians on Israel.
The militants also kidnapped 251 hostages to Gaza; 47 of them are still captives, 25 of the Israeli army said they died.
Commemoration activities were held in Israel on Tuesday to celebrate its anniversary.
The families and friends of those killed at Nova Music Festival would gather in the attack area where Hamas armed men killed more than 370 people and seized dozens of hostages.
Another ceremony was to be held in Tel Aviv Hostages Square, where weekly rallies were held, where the calls for the release of the detainees continued.
On October 16, a commemoration ceremony is planned to be held with the state.
Many Israeli went to the Festival area on Monday.
Elad Gancz, who spoke to AFP while mourning those who died, said, “It was a very difficult and tremendous event here,” he said.
“But we want to live and we want to continue our lives by remembering those who are here and unfortunately not among us.”
Israel’s military operation from Air, land and sea to Gaza continues without slowing down and the death of tens of thousands of Palestinians and a great destruction remains.
The Ministry of Health under the direction of Hamas says that at least 67,160 people have died, and these figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.
The data does not distinguish between civilians and warriors, but shows that more than half of the dead are women and children.
Houses, hospitals, schools and water networks turned to ruins and all the neighborhoods were destroyed.
Hundreds of thousands of homeless Gaza are now in overcrowded camps and in open spaces where access to food, water and sanitation is very small.
36 -year -old Hanan Muhammad from his house in Jabalia, “We have lost everything, our homes, our family members, our friends, our neighbors,” he said.
“I look forward to the declaration of cease -fire, the stopping of this endless blood and deaths … There is nothing but destruction.”
According to a recent study by the National Security Studies Institute, 72 percent of the Israeli people after two years of clashes are not satisfied with the way the government handled war.
– Hercules’ duty –
During the war, Israel expanded its military access by hitting the targets in the five regional capitals, including Iran and killing many senior Hamas officials and Hezbollah leader Hasan Nasrallah.
Israel and Hamas are facing an increasing international pressure on the end of the war, together with the UN investigation and the Hamas, who accused Hamas of committing war crimes in the 7 October attack, accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza last month. Both sides reject the allegations.
Last week, US President Donald Trump announced a 20 -item plan to call for a cease -fire if Hamas released all hostages, disarmament of the group and gradually withdrawn from Gaza.
Indirect talks began on Monday, Egypt’s holiday resort, Sharm al-Sheikh, with the mediator’s fidelity between tight security.
Al-Qahera News, connected to Egyptian state intelligence, said that negotiations focused on “preparation of ground conditions” for hostage-mahkum exchange within the scope of Trump’s plan.
A Palestinian Source close to Hamas negotiators said that negotiations that started on the eve of October 7 could take a few days.
Trump called on negotiators to “move fast” to end the war in Gaza, where Israeli attacks continued on Monday.
US President Newsmax told TV: “I think we were very, very close to reaching an agreement … I think there is too much goodwill shown right now. Actually, this is quite surprising.”
Although both parties welcomed Trump’s offer, it is expected that an agreement on the details is expected to be a difficult task.
The war has previously seen two ceasefire, which had previously released dozens of hostage.
However, Israeli Chief of General Staff Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir warned that the army would “return to war” if these negotiations fail.



