Jonathan Gjoshe: Footballer recalls being stabbed seven times during mass knife attack on train in Cambridgeshire: ‘I was drenched with blood’

Former Scunthorpe defender Jonathan Gjoshe has revealed he was stabbed seven times in a train attack last year.
The 23-year-old was among the victims of a mass stabbing on a Cambridgeshire train in November.
Mr Gjoshe was traveling from Doncaster to London when the attack took place.
“I was sitting on the train and resting. The train completed this stop. Then suddenly someone came over my right shoulder and stabbed me,” Gjoshe said. BBC.
“First I was stabbed in the shoulder, that was the first stab. I remember jumping over the table, jumping over the chairs.

“I was running down the hall and telling people, ‘There’s a man with a knife, run, I’ve been stabbed, run.’ I was screaming. I think I was the first person to get stabbed. I felt the pain. But the adrenaline kicked in.”
“As I got out of the first or second carriage I set off the alarm and was covered in blood.”
When asked how many blows he received, Gjoshe replied: “Seven. Seven wounds. I was stabbed seven times.”
Gjoshe was at Scunthorpe last season and was loaned out to Bottesford Town, where he played on the day of the attack.
Scunthorpe announced earlier this month that Gjoshe was out of the team and that the defender hoped to return to football.
“It happened, that’s life, thank God I’m alive, that’s the main thing. I can’t look back, I just have to move on,” he said. “The main thing was to get back to football, that was the only thing on my mind. To get back to football, to play, and I was hoping that I could get that chance.”
Anthony Williams, 32, has been charged with 10 counts of attempted murder over the incident and will stand trial at Cambridge Crown Court in October.
How did the attack happen?

The incident, which occurred on November 1, 2025, took place on a train bound for London.
Departing Doncaster at 6.25pm, the service departed on time, making short stops in Retford, Newark and Grantham as planned, before passing through the Midlands and speeding towards Cambridgeshire.
The service was scheduled to arrive in King’s Cross before 8.30pm on Saturday night.
At around 7.39pm, as the train was passing between its scheduled stops in Peterborough and Stevenage, a passenger made a desperate call to emergency services reporting “multiple stabbings”.
Eyewitnesses said passengers ran away from a man with a large knife, and some hid in toilets to escape the attack.
Olly Foster told the BBC he thought the attack might have been a Halloween prank when he heard people shouting “run, run, a man is literally stabbing everyone”.
Mr Foster said people quickly began pushing the car and he noticed his hand was “covered in blood” as there was “blood all over the chair” he was leaning against.



