google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Major hantavirus update as UK makes key move responding to deadly rat disease | World | News

Britain has set up a mobile laboratory for rapid response on the island of St Helena following a hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship, health officials said. The UK Health Safety Agency (UKHSA) said on Friday evening that three team members of the UK Public Health Rapid Support Team (UK-PHRST) had been deployed to the UK overseas territories of St Helena and Ascension in the South Atlantic in response to a request for support from the island government.

It comes after it was announced that 10 Britons from the South Atlantic islands linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship outbreak would be brought to the UK if they contract the disease. The group, thought to be residents of St Helena and Ascension, were “brought to the UK as a precautionary measure to complete their self-isolation”, the UK Health Security Agency said in a statement earlier this week. UKHSA’s website says the appointed team includes two microbiologists, Clara Milroy and Kimberley Steeds, who will support PCR testing for hantavirus as well as testing to rule out other conditions.

They are joined by infection prevention and control specialist Anthony Twyman, who will support Jamestown General Hospital in preparing for and responding to potential cases through assessments and training.

According to the agency, the trio will be on the island for the next eight weeks.

Director of the UK Public Health Rapid Support Team, Dr. Edmund Newman said: “This deployment reflects UKHSA’s commitment to rapidly responding to health threats wherever they arise and supporting our international partners to protect public health globally.

“Our teams continue to work closely with everyone affected by this outbreak, both in the UK and abroad, to ensure all necessary support is available.

“The risk to the public remains very low.”

The outbreak on the cruise ship led to at least 11 cases being reported among passengers, including three deaths.

Public Health Scotland said on Thursday that a small number of people in Scotland had potentially come into contact with the virus and efforts were being made to contact a “small number of individuals” who may be affected.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button