google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

‘Not there for tourism’: Police track alleged Bondi gunmen’s movements in Philippines

The alleged Bondi attackers, Sajid and Naveed Akram, had not visited the Philippines as tourists as they spent nearly a month in the country before the Dec. 14 attack, police said, as they continue to investigate how the duo became radicalized.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett said the two men traveled from their homes in Sydney to Manila on November 1, then to Davao City in the southern Philippines. They returned to Sydney on 29 November.

Naveed Akram, 24, faces 59 charges related to the shooting that killed 15 people and injured dozens. His father Sajid, 50, was also killed during the alleged attack.

As investigations continue, Ms Barrett said based on the information police now have it appears the two men acted alone to plan and carry out the alleged attack.

“There is no evidence that the alleged criminals were part of a broader terrorist cell or were directed by others to carry out an attack,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.

“But I want to be clear, I am not suggesting they are there for tourism.

“The initial assessment of the Philippine National Police is that the individuals rarely left their hotels, and there is no evidence that they trained or made logistical preparations for the alleged attack.”

AFP officers are reviewing CCTV footage from the hotel and other locations capturing the Akrams’ stay in the Philippines.

Ms Barrett said the AFP had been working with counterparts in the Philippines for decades on countering terrorism in the region and their support over the past two weeks had been critical.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button