Raúl Castro faces potential US indictment, source tells Fox News Digital

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The United States is moving to impeach former Cuban president Raúl Castro, a source familiar with the matter confirms to Fox News Digital.
The possible charges against Castro, 94, come after CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with his counterparts from the Cuban Interior Ministry during a high-level visit to the island nation on Thursday.
CBS News first reported the potential charges.
CUBA SAYS CIA CHIEF RATCLIFFE MEETS OFFICIALS IN HAVANA AMONG TENSIONS IN THE USA
FILE – Cuban President Raul Castro speaks at the Congress of the Cuban Communist Party in Havana, Cuba, April 16, 2016. (Ismael Francisco/Cubadebate via AP, File)
Raúl Castro is the younger brother of longtime Cuban leader Fidel Castro, who died in 2016.
Castro is reportedly accused of shooting down the planes 30 years ago, US officials familiar with the matter told CBS News.
The indictment, which will require grand jury approval, will focus on the fatal 1996 shooting down of planes operated by the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue in Cuba, according to the report.
At a meeting Thursday, Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials, including Raulito Rodriguez Castro, Interior Minister Lazaro Alvarez Casas and the head of Cuba’s intelligence services in Havana, to convey the message that “President Trump is prepared to deal seriously with economic and security issues of the United States, but only if Cuba makes fundamental changes.”
TRUMP SAID IN HIS FLORIDA SPEECH THAT WE WILL CAPTURE CUBA ‘RIGHT IMMEDIATELY’

Fidel Castro and his brother Raul attend a parade in Havana, Cuba, on December 2, 1996. (Sven Creutzmann/Mambo Photography/Getty Images)
A CIA official told Fox News that Ratcliffe and Cuban officials discussed intelligence cooperation, economic stability and security, all on the grounds that Cuba could no longer be a safe haven for enemies in the Western Hemisphere.
According to sources, Ratcliffe also emphasized that the Trump administration offers a real opportunity for cooperation and that Trump should be taken seriously.
Earlier this month, Trump joked in a speech at the Palm Beaches Forum Club in Florida that the United States would “take over” Cuba “almost immediately.”
DESANTIS REVEALS WHICH DICTATORSHIP SHOULD BE ‘PUT TO PASTE’ next

The United States is reportedly moving to charge former Cuban President Raúl Castro in connection with the 1996 Brothers to the Rescue attack. (2015Getty Images)
“Cuba has problems. We will finish one of them first. I like to finish a job.”
The Trump administration recently expanded sanctions targeting countries and companies doing business with Cuba, especially oil suppliers, increasing pressure on Havana due to fuel shortages and widespread power outages.
Fox News Digital has reached out to the Department of Justice for comment.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION
This is a developing story, check for updates.
Fox News Digital’s Alexandra Koch and Fox News’ David Spunt contributed to this report.



