Returned ‘ISIS bride’ charged with terrorism offences

A woman linked to Islamic State has been charged with terrorism offenses upon her return to Australia.
Two groups of women and their children, often referred to as “ISIS brides”, returned to Sydney and Melbourne in May after years of detention in Syria’s Al Roj camp.
The camp is for families of former Islamic State fighters who were killed or arrested.
The final group of six women and their children arrived in Australia on Tuesday.
A female returnee has been charged with terrorism offenses by officers attached to Operation Kurrajong, the Australian Federal Police said on Thursday.
The agency is expected to provide more details at a media briefing.
Operation Kurrajong is a joint operation by the AFP, local spy agency ASIO and state and territory police focused on investigating individuals who allegedly traveled to Syria during the Islamic State caliphate.
“People’s actions have consequences, and as we’ve seen, that’s the case with a large number of Australian citizens accused of very serious offences,” Attorney-General Michelle Rowland told reporters.
Three women from a group that had previously returned were arrested and charged in mid-May.
One woman from the group of Australian citizens remains in Syria under an exclusion order that expires in 2028.

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.


