Police warning over sea swims after two men swept away off Devon on Christmas Day

Police in Devon have discouraged people from going swimming on Boxing Day after scores of people had difficulties in the sea during the annual Christmas Day dive.
Two men in their forties and sixties were washed out to sea at Budleigh Salterton on Thursday and have yet to be found despite extensive searches of the area.
A number of Christmas and Boxing Day swimming events in Devon and Cornwall have been canceled this year due to the Met Office’s yellow weather wind warning covering parts of the South West and Wales.
No weather warnings have been issued for Boxing Day or the coming days, but authorities have urged people to stay away from the sea.
Detective Superintendent Hayley Costar, of Devon and Cornwall Police, said: “Whilst there is no official warning, we would urge anyone planning to go swimming in the sea on Boxing Day not to do so.”
Describing the events at Budleigh Salterton as a “truly tragic incident”, he added: “Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the two men who are now missing and anyone who witnessed the incident and may have been affected by it.”
Local resident Julia Robb, who watched the men swim at the beach before they disappeared, said: “This is awful.”
He said it was a “very cold and windy” day where “the waves were big and people were running over them”.
“I thought the waves were going to be at least 6 feet,” he said, and it was only later when he heard helicopters that it became clear something was wrong.
Ms Robb added: “It was a sad thing to have to happen on such a positive morning. I just feel sorry for those affected.
“I think this will be shocking to the whole community. We’re a small town. People are very friendly. I think it’s important to think about the friends and families of those affected.”
Ahead of Christmas Day, the Met Office warned of “strong and gusty east to north-east winds” across south-west England and parts of Wales from 4am to 11.59pm on Thursday.
Peak winds will reach 45 to 55 mph, but could reach 55 to 65 mph on some open shores and west of prominent hills.
The statement said: “Large waves will pose additional danger on some coasts.”
Emergency services were called to Budleigh Salterton at 10.25am on Christmas Day after concerns grew about people in the water.
HM Coastguard said it responded to reports of “people in distress” and RNLI lifeboats were sent from Exmouth, Teignmouth and Torbay, as well as rescue teams from Exmouth and Beer.
Coast guard search and rescue helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, as well as police and ambulance personnel, were also dispatched to the scene.
RNLI lifeboat crews helped rescue one person from the water. Several people were brought safely to shore and checked by paramedics or taken to hospital as a precaution.
On Thursday evening Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed that coastguard and RNLI searches had been completed in the area.
An RNLI spokesman said: “On their return to stations all lifeboat crew were stopped by the coastguard at around 5pm.
“Our thoughts are with everyone affected and with the family and friends of the two missing men.”
During an extensive search, the two men were not located and remain missing. Police confirmed the families had been kept informed of the developments.




