Trump says he’s postponing Iran attack at Middle East leaders’ request

U.S. President Donald Trump gestures while speaking to reporters after arriving on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, May 15, 2026.
Alex Wroblewski | AFP | Getty Images
President Donald Trump said Monday that he canceled a plan to attack Iran on Tuesday after the leaders of three regional powers in the Middle East asked him to “delay.”
Trump, a Real Social postQatar Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said he informed US military leaders “that we will not carry out the planned attack on Iran tomorrow” in line with the demands of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and United Arab Emirates President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Before Trump’s post, there was no clear sign that the United States was preparing to attack Iran on Tuesday, officially canceling its tattered ceasefire with Iran. Trump said New York Post He said in an interview early Monday that Iran knew “what will happen soon” but declined to provide details.
Trump was considering resuming active military operations after Tehran’s latest response to ongoing negotiations for a deal to end the war was deemed inadequate. Axis declared.
In his post on Monday, the president claimed that the three regional leaders had asked for a postponement of the planned attack, demanding that “serious negotiations are currently taking place and that in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, an Agreement will be made that will be highly acceptable to the United States of America as well as all countries in the Middle East and beyond.”
“More importantly, this Agreement will include NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” Trump wrote.
The president said he told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine, while Tuesday’s offensive was off, that “in the event an acceptable agreement cannot be reached, they must be prepared to launch a full-scale, full-scale strike against Iran at a moment’s notice.”
Hegseth traveled to Kentucky on Monday to attend a political event with the Republican House candidate challenging incumbent GOP Rep. Thomas Massie, who Trump wants to oust from Congress.
The United States and Iran are locked in a sort of military and economic stalemate centered on the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil shipping route that has been beset by blockades amid war, preventing most ships from passing through.
The battle to control the strait has deeply eroded the already shaky ceasefire that began almost six weeks ago; But even though it has been repeatedly riddled with conflict, Trump said last week it was on “life support.”



