Ukrainian drone strikes hit Russian energy infrastructure, Zelenskyy says

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Ukrainian drone strikes targeted energy infrastructure in Russian-controlled areas of southern Ukraine on Sunday, leaving hundreds of thousands of people without power.
Ukrainian officials say the attack was an effort to “get weapons for the winter”, just like Russian forces targeted Ukraine’s power grid. Ukraine said that Russia’s attacks continued throughout the night and two people died.
More than 200,000 households in the Russian-controlled part of Ukraine’s southern Zaporozhye region were without electricity on Sunday, according to the Kremlin-appointed local governor.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a Telegram post that repairing the country’s energy system remains challenging, “but we are doing everything we can to get everything back up as quickly as possible.”
RUSSIA SAYS UKRAINE PEACE NEGOTIATIONS ARE ‘PROGRESSING CONSTRUCTIVELY’ AS THE KREMLIN LAUNCHES A DEADLY ATTACK ON ODESA
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky speaks at a press conference. (Jim WATSON/AFP via Getty Images)
He said two people were killed in attacks across the country overnight, hitting Sumy, Kharkiv, Dnipro, Zaporizhzhia, Khmelnytskyi and Odesa.
Ukraine says Russia used a total of more than 1,300 attack aircraft, 1,050 guided aerial bombs and 29 missiles of various types to strike Ukraine this week.
Meanwhile, negotiations to reach a peace agreement between the USA, Ukraine and Russia continue. Zelenskyy has consistently argued that Russia is not committed to the peace process.
KREMLIN SAID RUSSIA FIRED A NEW HYPERSONIC MISSILE IN ITS MAJOR ATTACK IN UKRAINE

A soldier from the 148th Separate Artillery Zhytomyr Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces fires an M777 Howitzer towards Russian troops at a front-line position during the Russian offensive into Ukraine. (REUTERS/Anatoliy Stepanov)
“If Russia deliberately delays the diplomatic process, the world’s reaction will be decisive: more aid to Ukraine and more pressure on the aggressor,” Zelenskyy said on Sunday.
But President Donald Trump argued last week that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that held the record for a possible peace deal.
“I think he’s ready to make a deal,” Trump told Reuters about Putin. “I think Ukraine is less ready to make a deal.”
When asked why U.S. intervention did not end the war, Trump replied “Zelenskyy,” Reuters reported.

President Donald Trump is pushing Zelenskyy to accept the peace deal. (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP Photo)
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION
Trump declined to go into detail about why he believed Zelenskyy was holding back, saying he believed the Ukrainian president “had a hard time getting to this point,” referring to the peace agreement. But later in the interview, Trump said he would be willing to meet Zelenskyy at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.



