Republicans could abandon $1bn proposal for Trump’s ballroom – US politics live | US news

Republicans may abandon $1 billion security bid for Trump’s ballroom complex
Hello, welcome to the live blog of US politics.
Senate Republicans may exclude Donald Trump’s lavish White House ballroom complex from the Department of Homeland Security funding bill after members questioned the timing and lack of detail of the Secret Service’s $1 billion request.
Facing pressure from the Trump administration, Republicans tried to include money in a nearly $70 billion bill to restore funding for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol.
But the security proposal faced pushback from some GOP lawmakers who questioned the cost and how taxpayer dollars would be used, the AP reported. Although the text of the bill has not yet been released, the Senate hopes to pass it this week and send it to the House before it goes on a week-long Memorial Day recess.
The dispute emerged as Senate majority leader John Thune acknowledged Wednesday that there were “ongoing voting issues” as leaders tried to gauge Republican support, as well as “ongoing parliamentary issues” as they tried to figure out what would be allowed in the bill under chamber rules.
“There is always a consequence to appointing United States senators,” Thune said. “[The president] He obviously has his favorites and people he wants to support, and that’s his prerogative. “But what we have to deal with here is moving the agenda, and frankly that can get a little more complicated.”
Republican senator John Kennedy said Wednesday that without the security money, the bill “will be back to square one” because “the votes are not there.”
Sen. Thom Tillis, meanwhile, said the effort to include the security package in the bill was a “bad idea” because he thought there wasn’t enough support to pass the package even if the cost was reduced. axios reported Tillis recently said he would not support the bill if it was taken up this week.
Democrats have criticized Republicans for trying to fund Trump’s ballroom while voters are concerned about underlying economic issues.
In other developments:
-
The USA issued a federal criminal complaint against him Raúl CastroCuba’s former president is potentially paving the way for a US military raid to capture him.
-
A lawsuit has been filed against two police officers who were attacked by rioters at the US Capitol during the January 6 riot Donald Trump It plans to create a “fight against arms” fund worth $1.776 billion.
-
Brian FitzpatrickIt is being carried by a Republican congressman from a Philadelphia-area district. Kamala Harris In 2024, he vowed Wednesday to “try to kill” the $1.776 billion slush fund created by Donald TrumpThe compensation awarded to the Justice Department this week could be used to compensate insurgents who tried to keep Trump in office after he lost the 2020 election.
-
Republican senator Bill Cassidy He condemned two of Trump’s passion projects: $1 billion in taxpayer funding for the White House ballroom, which the president can’t stop talking about, and a $1.776 billion slush fund he plans to use to reward supporters who stormed the Capitol to try to keep him in office despite losing the 2020 election.
-
A former federal prosecutor in Florida denied accusations Wednesday that he illegally emailed himself a copy of an unreleased special counsel report into Trump’s mishandling of classified documents.
important events
President Donald Trump’s plan to build a triumphal arch in Washington is getting a second opinion from a federal agency that recommended changes before approving the concept last month.
The proposed 250 ft (76 m) arch is one of several projects the Republican president is pursuing, along with the White House ballroom, to make his mark on Washington.
He said some of his other projects, such as adding a blue liner to the interior of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, will beautify the city in time for July 4th celebrations of America’s 250th birthday.
The U.S. Commission on Fine Arts, whose members are appointed by Trump, approved the arch’s concept at its monthly meeting in April.
Commissioners will consider and possibly vote on the updated plans when they meet again Thursday.
Dharna Noor
A prominent environmental organizer who called for a nationwide moratorium on data centers has received an endorsement from Bernie Sanders as he runs for the Democratic nomination in a Michigan congressional district.
Will Lawrence, co-founder of the youth-led Sunrise Movement climate justice group, was a key figure behind the Green New Deal campaign to combat economic and racial injustice while also tackling climate change.
Now he’s running for U.S. Congress in the Democratic three-way primary to represent the party in Michigan’s purple seventh district.
“I learned at Sunrise how important it is who is in charge,” said Lawrence, a Lansing native. The group made headlines in 2018 when it raided the office of then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and demanded a rapid end to fossil fuels and job guarantees.
Voters in Michigan’s seventh district voted for Donald Trump in the 2016, 2020 and 2024 U.S. presidential elections and also elected Republican Tom Barrett to Congress in 2024. labeled It’s a “heads” by the Cook Political Report ahead of November’s midterm elections and a key target for Democrats.
On Thursday morning, Sanders, the influential independent U.S. senator from Vermont, threw his support behind Lawrence.
In a statement, Sanders praised Lawrence as a “successful organizer” who will “demand real accountability for big tech and AI companies” as massive data centers are built across the United States.
Republicans may abandon $1 billion security bid for Trump’s ballroom complex
Hello, welcome to the live blog of US politics.
Senate Republicans may exclude Donald Trump’s lavish White House ballroom complex from the Department of Homeland Security funding bill after members questioned the timing and lack of detail of the Secret Service’s $1 billion request.
Facing pressure from the Trump administration, Republicans tried to include money in a nearly $70 billion bill to restore funding for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Border Patrol.
But the security proposal faced pushback from some GOP lawmakers who questioned the cost and how taxpayer dollars would be used, the AP reported. Although the text of the bill has not yet been released, the Senate hopes to pass it this week and send it to the House before it goes on a week-long Memorial Day recess.
The dispute emerged as Senate majority leader John Thune acknowledged Wednesday that there were “ongoing voting issues” as leaders tried to gauge Republican support, as well as “ongoing parliamentary issues” as they tried to figure out what would be allowed in the bill under chamber rules.
“There is always a consequence to appointing United States senators,” Thune said. “[The president] He obviously has his favorites and people he wants to support, and that’s his prerogative. “But what we have to deal with here is moving the agenda, and frankly that can get a little more complicated.”
Republican senator John Kennedy said Wednesday that without the security money, the bill “will be back to square one” because “the votes are not there.”
Sen. Thom Tillis, meanwhile, said the effort to include the security package in the bill was a “bad idea” because he thought there wasn’t enough support to pass the package even if the cost was reduced. axios reported Tillis recently said he would not support the bill if it was taken up this week.
Democrats have criticized Republicans for trying to fund Trump’s ballroom while voters are concerned about underlying economic issues.
In other developments:
-
The USA issued a federal criminal complaint against him Raúl CastroCuba’s former president is potentially paving the way for a US military raid to capture him.
-
A lawsuit has been filed against two police officers who were attacked by rioters at the US Capitol during the January 6 riot Donald Trump It plans to create a “fight against arms” fund worth $1.776 billion.
-
Brian FitzpatrickCarried by a Republican congressman from a Philadelphia-area district Kamala Harris In 2024, he vowed Wednesday to “try to kill” the $1.776 billion slush fund created by Donald TrumpThe compensation awarded to the Justice Department this week could be used to compensate insurgents who tried to keep Trump in office after he lost the 2020 election.
-
Republican senator Bill Cassidy He condemned two of Trump’s passion projects: $1 billion in taxpayer funding for the White House ballroom, which the president can’t stop talking about, and a $1.776 billion slush fund he plans to use to reward supporters who stormed the Capitol to try to keep him in office despite losing the 2020 election.
-
A former federal prosecutor in Florida denied accusations Wednesday that he illegally emailed himself a copy of an unreleased special counsel report into Trump’s mishandling of classified documents.




