google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Third Palestine Action hunger striker on remand ends protest

A third detainee awaiting trial for alleged crimes related to the Palestine Action Group has called off a lengthy hunger strike, according to a letter sent to the government.

The letter confirms that Qesser Zuhrah, the first of eight people who began a hunger strike on November 2, ended his protest after 48 days.

The group’s lawyers gave ministers until Tuesday afternoon to respond to threats to go to the Supreme Court over their refusal to meet.

A Ministry of Justice (MoJ) spokesman said: “We want these prisoners to accept support and recover, and we will not create perverse incentives to encourage more people to put themselves at risk through hunger strikes.”

It was stated that 3 of the 8 people who participated in the protest stopped, while 4 continued the action.

The eighth member of the group is now cited by supporters as intermittently refusing to eat due to an underlying health condition.

Ms Zuhrah was admitted to hospital last week amid protests outside HMP Bronzefield, claiming she was denied full medical attention.

Justice Department officials have previously disputed allegations of mistreatment. The Department does not comment publicly on the private management of individuals.

Amy Gardiner-Gibson, who goes by the name Amu Gib and started a hunger strike on the same day as Ms. Zuhrah, was reportedly hospitalized on Sunday, the 50th day of the protest.

The other remaining hunger strikers are Heba Muraisi, Teuta Hoxha and Kamran Ahmad. They are said to have refused to eat for 49 days, 43 days and 42 days respectively; These statements were not objected to by the authorities.

Prison and NHS guidance makes clear that treatment decisions for hunger strikers should be overseen by clinicians. Food-related treatments can only be given if they consent or if it is clear that they do not have the mental capacity to make a choice.

In a detailed legal notice, the group’s lawyers said they would ask the High Court to review Justice Secretary David Lammy’s investigation. Refusing to meet with representatives If they do not receive a response by 14:00 GMT on Tuesday.

The group’s lawyers say prison service policies make clear that staff “must make every effort” to understand why a prisoner refuses food and address the reasons.

The group called Palestine Action ban lifted.

The Supreme Court is reviewing the home secretary’s decision to ban the group and a decision is expected in the new year.

Protesters claim they have been treated unfairly and denied bail ahead of trials in 2026 and 2027.

Some of these cases cannot be reported at this stage under standard laws designed to ensure fair trials for all criminal suspects.

“Our customers’ refusal to eat constitutes the largest coordinated hunger strike in British history since 1981,” the letter said, referring to IRA hunger strikes.

“As of today, their strike has lasted 51 days, approximately two months, and poses a serious risk to their lives with each passing day.”

The Care Quality Commission, which oversees prison healthcare, told the BBC it had been in contact with HMP Bronzefield, one of the prisons where the protests took place, to ensure appropriate processes were in place after receiving “alarming information”.

It was not disclosed what he was told in response.

If ministers do not respond to a letter sent on behalf of the group by Tuesday afternoon, the group’s lawyers may ask the High Court to intervene on human rights grounds; but it is not certain that a judge will hold a hearing.

Lord Timpson, Secretary of State for Prisons, Probation and Reducing Reoffending, said: “Although very worrying, hunger strikes are not a new problem for our prisons. “Over the last five years, we have averaged over 200 hunger strikes a year and we have long-standing procedures in place to ensure the safety of prisoners.

“Prison medical teams are providing NHS care and constantly monitoring the situation. HMPPS is clear that claims of being denied hospital care are completely misleading; they will always be received when needed and some of these prisoners have already been treated in hospital.

“These prisoners are accused of serious crimes such as aggravated robbery and criminal damage. Arrest orders are for independent judges and lawyers can represent in court on behalf of their clients.

“Ministers will not meet with them. We have a justice system based on the separation of powers and an independent judiciary is the cornerstone of our system. It would be completely unconstitutional and inappropriate for ministers to intervene in ongoing cases.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button