Jimmy Lai verdict: Hong Kong judges set to rule on national security charges | Hong Kong

Long-awaited verdicts in the national security case of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai will be announced on Monday; It is one of the most closely watched decisions since the city returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
The Apple Daily founder pleaded not guilty to two counts of “conspiracy to engage in foreign collusion,” which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment under the security law, and one count of “conspiracy to publish seditious publications.”
The case has become a rift between Beijing and many western countries, and Donald Trump reportedly called for Lai’s release during a meeting with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in October.
Lai turned 78 last week and once described himself as a “born rebel”. He has vociferously challenged the Chinese Communist Party for years while raking in millions from his clothing and media empires.
It became a prime target after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on Hong Kong in 2020, a year after massive and sometimes violent pro-democracy protests in the financial hub.
Supreme court justices Esther Toh, Alex Lee and Susana D’Almada Remedios will begin delivering their verdict at 10:00 local time (02:00 GMT).
If convicted, Lai would likely be sentenced to prison at a later date and could appeal the outcome.
A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said Friday that Beijing “firmly supports” Hong Kong in “safeguarding national security in accordance with the law and punishing criminal acts that endanger national security.”
Lai is a British citizen and British prime minister Keir Starmer has been under pressure from human rights and press freedom groups to secure his release.
Lai has been in prison since December 31, 2020, and his medical condition has been bitterly disputed by his family and the Hong Kong government.
He last appeared in court in August, where he was prescribed medication and fitted with a heart rate monitor after lawyers said he was experiencing heart palpitations.
Lai gave impassioned testimony in the courtroom and was quick to respond to prosecutors and judges, even arguing with them.
His daughter Claire told Agence France-Presse last week that Lai, who is diabetic, had “lost a very significant amount of weight” and had decay in his nails and teeth.
The Hong Kong government said in a statement on Friday that Lai received “adequate and comprehensive” medical services and “no complaints have been made.”
Authorities also confirmed that Lai was being held in solitary confinement, but said this was “done entirely at his own request.”
Prosecutors accused Lai during the trial of being the mastermind of a conspiracy involving Apple Daily’s senior management, citing 161 articles published by the publication.
They claimed that these items, which included columns written by Lai and online talk shows he hosted, were considered seditious under colonial-era law because they “incited discontent” against the government.
Prosecutors alleged that some of the clauses also violated the later national security law because they asked foreign countries to impose “sanctions or blockades” or engage in “hostile activities” against Hong Kong or China.
Lai had been questioned for days about his political connections in the US, UK and Taiwan, including his meeting with then-US vice president Mike Pence in 2019.
Prosecutors also accused Lai of being the mastermind and financial backer of the “Stand with Hong Kong, Fight for Freedom” protest group, which allegedly lobbied for sanctions against China.
Lai said he has never tried to influence other countries’ foreign policies regarding Hong Kong and China through his overseas contacts.
He also distanced himself from violence and separatism, saying Apple Daily represents Hong Kongers’ core values such as “the rule of law, freedom, the pursuit of democracy, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly.”
Apple Daily was forced to close in 2021 following police raids and the arrest of its senior editors.




