US Aircraft Carrier USS Nimitz Enters Caribbean Amid Rising Tensions With Cuba

According to The Hill’s report, the US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group entered the Caribbean Sea at a time when tensions between the US and Cuba were increasing. According to The Hill, this deployment came after US President Donald Trump intensified his rhetoric against Cuba and threatened action against the island nation.
The carrier strike group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, its air wing consisting of F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, as well as USS Gridley, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, and USNS Patuxent, a Henry J Kaiser-class replenishment oiler.
U.S. Southern Command (Southcom), which oversees American military operations in the Caribbean and Latin America, announced the deployment on Wednesday. “USS Nimitz has proven its combat capability around the world, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Persian Gulf,” Southcom said in a post on channel X. he said.
The aircraft carrier, which entered service in 1975, recently conducted joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, according to the U.S. Embassy in Brazil. Trump on Wednesday said the administration “has Cuba on our minds” after the U.S. Justice Department formally charged former Cuban President Raul Castro with murder and other crimes in connection with the 1996 shooting down of two civilian airliners in international waters and the deaths of four people. “This is very important,” Trump said. “This was a huge moment, not only for Cuban Americans, but also for people coming from Cuba who wanted to come back to Cuba, to see their families in Cuba.” According to The Hill, the indictment was announced on Cuba’s Independence Day.
Earlier in the day, Cuban-American US Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued a message in Spanish to the Cuban people, supporting the US fuel blockade on the island while blaming Cuba’s communist government for repeated power outages. The Hill also reported that CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials on the island last week and warned that the negotiating window would not remain open indefinitely.

