google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Wild footage of machete fight in Broadmeadows shopping centre in Melbourne

Wild footage has emerged of two men swinging machetes at each other in a major shopping mall in Melbourne.

The fight, which started in a car park on Friday night, continued at Broadmeadows Central in Melbourne’s north.

Footage online shows two men trying to slash each other with machetes (essentially sword fighting) as retail workers watch from behind locked security doors.

Screams can be heard as the pair fight outside a cafe, while another video shows both men slapping each other outside a jeweller’s shop.

Camera IconWorkers hid behind security gates while the men fought. Provided Credit: Provided
People's screams can be heard as the two fight. Image: Supplied
Camera IconPeople’s screams can be heard as the two fight. Provided Credit: Provided

They both appear to be wearing ski masks.

In a statement, the police said that the argument that started between two groups in the parking lot at around 19.20 continued in the shopping mall.

“The groups fled the scene in a silver Honda and a white Mazda before police arrived.

“Some of the criminals are believed to be armed with edged weapons.”

Police are appealing for any witnesses or anyone with footage to come forward.

There have been a number of high-profile acts of violence involving machetes across Melbourne; The most recent was the deaths of 15-year-old Dau Akueng and 12-year-old Chol Achiek while walking home from a basketball game in the western suburbs on September 6.

Five children and three adults have been charged in connection with the alleged murders of Dau and Chol.

An incident involving machetes at a major northern shopping mall in May led the state government to immediately ban the sale of machetes.

Last month, amnesty boxes were set up for people to surrender their weapons.

Victoria’s Police Minister said 1,386 machetes and knives were returned to bins in the first two weeks of September, retailers handed in more than 3,500 knives and police have seized 10,800 bladed weapons so far this year.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button