De Montfort University latest: Teenager arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed in Leicester city centre

De Montfort University ‘confirmed’ student’s death
A man in his 20s who was stabbed to death in Leicester city center on Tuesday was a De Montfort University student, the vice-chancellor has confirmed.
Professor Katie Normington said in a statement: “We are deeply saddened to confirm the tragic death of one of our students.
“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by what happened. We are offering direct support to students, staff and the victim’s family.
“We are working with Leicestershire Police as they investigate this major incident.
“We are grateful for the messages of support we have received from the Leicester community: Leicester is a city that knows how to pull together in moments like these.”
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 12:22
BREAKING NEWS
The man in his 20s who was fatally stabbed in Leicester city center on Tuesday was a De Montfort University student, vice-chancellor Professor Katie Normington said.
Joe MiddletonFebruary 4, 2026 12:19
Picture: Police at the scene as a murder investigation is launched

Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 12:13
Police believe victim ‘was involved in a fight with another man on the street’
In a statement, Leicestershire Police added: “As the investigation continues, police will be carrying out a number of inquiries, including examining CCTV and speaking to people who were in the area at the time.
“An appeal is also being made for anyone with information or mobile phone or dashcam footage to come forward.
“From the investigation so far, it is believed that the victim was fighting with another man on the street. The man left the scene before the police arrived.”
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:57
‘It is believed one of the men was stabbed and then collapsed in the street,’ says detective
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Lorna Granville said: “We are now piecing together exactly what happened at the corner of Oxford Street and Bonners Lane, where two men were reportedly involved in the shooting.
“It is believed that one of the men was stabbed and collapsed on the street. Despite all the efforts of medical staff, he died in hospital.
“CCTV from the area is currently being reviewed and officers are speaking to potential witnesses to assist our investigation. We know many people came to the victim’s aid before emergency services arrived and we would like to thank them for their assistance.”
“If you are one of these people and have not yet spoken to the police, please contact us.
“The incident occurred at 5pm, so we know the area is also busy with motorists driving along Oxford Street. “If you saw anything driving through the area or captured footage on your dashcam, we’d like to hear from you too.
“I appreciate that the incident has caused major disruption to the city and some roads have been closed. We are working to reduce this impact as quickly as possible.”
“Local officers will be in the area over the coming days to conduct reassurance patrols. “If anyone has any concerns please speak to an officer.
“If you can help in any way, call 101 and report incident 495 of 3 February.”
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:52
Murder investigation continues
A murder investigation is ongoing after a man is believed to have been stabbed near Leicester city centre, Leicestershire Police said in a statement.
Police were called just after 5pm on Tuesday following reports that a man had collapsed in Oxford Street, near the junction with Bonners Lane.
While police teams were going to the scene, it was reported that the man in his 20s was stabbed.
The ambulance service also attended and the man was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary. He died a short time later.
Detectives from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit Major Crime Squad have been working throughout the night to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:46
BREAKING NEWS
Leicestershire Police said an 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after a man in his 20s was stabbed near De Montfort University in Leicester city centre.
Joe MiddletonFebruary 4, 2026 11:38
Summary: What we know so far about the Leicester incident

Here’s what we know so far about the incident in Leicester.
- The East Midlands Ambulance Service said one person was taken to hospital following a “very serious incident” at De Montfort University in Leicester on Tuesday.
- Emergency services are at the scene and several roads are closed.
- Leicestershire Police said on X (formerly Twitter) that the incident was “not a mass stabbing”.
- We are waiting for an urgent statement from the police.
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:31
‘This was not a mass stabbing,’ police say
Responding to a user on X (formerly Twitter), Leicestershire Police said: “There is no use speculating, but we can confirm this is not a mass stabbing.
“More details will be published on our website and social media channels soon.”
Dan HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:23
One person was hospitalized
A spokesman for East Midlands Ambulance Service said: Independent: “East Midlands Ambulance Service received a call to an address in Leicester at 5.03pm on Tuesday, February 3.
“The caller reported a medical emergency. We sent a paramedic in an ambulance car, three crewed ambulances and a responder from the air ambulance were also there.
“We transferred a patient to Leicester Royal Infirmary.”
Daniel HaygarthFebruary 4, 2026 11:16




